Friday, November 30, 2007

Letters to Ganesha - Ganesha Temple in Singapore


Last Friday I visited the Ganesha temple at Ceylon Road in Singapore. I noticed a temple sculptor working on one side of the temple. When I chatted with him - he said that he had been brought in from Chidambaram in Tamil Nadu. Chidambaram is a beautiful temple town and the Shiva temple in Chidambaram is revered by dancers as legend has it that this was the site where Lord Shiva performed the Ananda Thandava dance. The sculptor told me that he was a 3rd generation sculptor and this crafted was handed down orally from his forefathers.

When I was leaving the temple - we ran into the temple president, Dr Theyvendran. He knew my mom and we had a nice chat about India and Chola temples. He pointed out to two good innovations that the temple had implemented. First a Devotees Guide - a small booklet that sets out temple ettiquette and some history and architectural features about the temple. Second he gave us each a Personal Letter to Lord Ganesha. He requested us to write our prayers and post it to the temple. The priest would place our wishes on the altar and burn them after 3 days of prayers. What a wonderful idea !!! And finally he gave me a beautiful gold and silver miniature Ganesha and told me to pray diligently to him for 45 days. I have placed him on my altar and I look at this face and pray to him everyday.

No comments: