Sunday, December 23, 2007

Learning from People You Like

Today I taught my nephews a powerful mantra - Om Triyambagam. It was at my nephews request. They had listened to the mantra on my computer and loved it. They requested me to teach it to them. I did and they recited it beautifully. I told them maybe they should go for mantra classes in the temple. But they said no - we prefer to learn from you they said. I felt it would be better for them to learn in a more structured environment. But they said that they liked me and they enjoy learning from someone they like. What an important observation. The teacher-student chemistry is often key to the rate of absorption. As well as building up the enthusiasm towards a given discipline. You want to learn from someone who will feed and nurture that seed of interest in you while ensuring you make technical progress. I remember having horrible dance teachers as a little girl. Many who crushed my spirit and convinced me that I was ugly and a bad dancer. This insecurity carried through onto the stage and deeply affected my stage presence. It was only after I fired my teacher and went to someone else who had a more holistic approach to teaching dance that I truly came into my own as an artist. So always do yourself and your kids a favor. Choose your teachers wisely. The best teachers transmit values, joy and feed your spirit. The learning of the technical material than becomes a bonus.

No comments: