Saturday, December 8, 2007

The Power of Family Prayer

Periamma or my Aunt 1 recently had a narrow shave with death. She suffered two heart failures and a mild stroke. Her whole immediately family gathered around her and pulled her through. Her daughters in Perth, Australia and her sons and daughters in Singapore undertook serious personal prayers. They demonstrated to me the power of distance healing, sincere prayer and family love. When my Periamma's grand-daughter and great-granddaughter flew in from Perth to be by her side - she recovered dramatically. Since Periamma belongs to a prayer group with networks in Pune, Chennai, Coimbatore and Australia - all the members there too recited healing mantras and went to the temple to pray for her recovery. I made sure that powerful mantas were playing in her hospital room too. Sacred sound has the power to heal. All her kids are deeply spiritual and pray twice a day and go for 2 hour prayers sessions every Sunday mornings at 5am to recite mantras in a group. They feel that group prayer significantly raises the vibration of the Universe and benefits everyone on the planet. I pray everyday too but this incident taught me the difference between intense meditation like prayer and more casual and quick conversations with God. This incident inspired me to deepen my daily prayer and to intensify my devotion.

Today I went to visit my Periamma at her home. She had been discharged from the hospital and was now recovering at home. When she saw me she grabbed my hand very hard and whispered something in my ear with great urgency. I understood what she was telling me. In fact I felt honored that she would share how spiritually her life has changed since her brush with death. She says she has visions of divine souls and receives clear instructions from them to renounce her material life and wear an orange robe and remove all jewelry. I know others who had such privileged access to higher realms after a near-death experience. What she told me did not surprise me. But I also knew that it was her daily prayers over 70 years that had prepared her and enabled her to have sacred encounters like the one she described to me.

No comments: